Saturday, April 21, 2007

US Policy: Airpot Security

US Policy: Airport Security
by IDARNG Loki

You walk in, you get your ticket, and you head for the security line. It’s there where I hear, and have given, complaints about having to be halted and searched before going onto our flight. In reality you have been watched, since the moment you entered the airport property, by an arsenal of surveillance devices, censors, and security personnel. With the tragic events of September 11th, 2001, the US Congress passed the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, or ATSA, which amends and enhances Section 449 of Title 49 of the US Code.

Now I am all for keeping everyone secure, but I would feel better knowing our security is based off statistics. It’s a known fact that a government basic responsibility is to “provide new Guards for their future security.” What aggravates me is when I see little blue haired ladies and even members of the Armed Forces being searched! What threat do they pose?

Not to be insensitive or “intolerant”, but last time I checked it wasn’t a US Army Guard that rammed a plane into the side of buildings. Soldiers are defenders of this country. They give up so much to keep us safe and yet they are still searched.

It’s not just soldiers I think should be exempt if you will from these security parameters. I also believe certain “sub-cultures” such as the elderly should not have to be searched. I have yet to hear about an arthritic riddled woman take over a plane and hold it hostage.

Now what would I do to fix this little problem. I personally believe that profiling works. Many people call profiling racist because it can targets certain cultures or groups, but it’s based on statistical fact. How can you call something offensive when it’s true? Here in Idaho middle-aged white men are likely to be behind the crimes, in parts of Los Angeles the crime may be perpetrated by young Hispanics, while in the Harlem young Black men commit many crimes, cause a majority of our crimes. It’s all a matter of statistics of the crimes.

Even before 9/11 befell us the Airports kept a passenger manifest; in this only name and address information was kept, but afterwards the ATSA stated that the Under Secretary could include any information he/she deemed necessary. Due to the rising threat of radical Islamic terrorism I believe that ethnicity should be included when registering for your flight. Through my military experiences I know that our government has the specific profile and modus operandi for terrorist cells.

Our government feels the need to give us this false sense of security by meddling in political correctness when it should combat the real threat using statistical analysis and modern technology.

No comments: